Photos

Friday, December 17, 2010

Critter

The night was cold and wet, from the poorly timed sprinklers, when Richard knocked on my door.
"You want a kitten." He said.

She was all black with white belly fur and paws and was sick when Richard found her. She had a runny nose, congestion, wheezing, and a sneezed a lot. She was intrigued by the chlorine-blue of the water in the pool so she skulked to the edge where she either unknowingly inched in or slipped. Shivering and with a wall of water rushing down her face, she dragged herself back out. I decided to keep her till I could deliver her to a shelter, for her well-being, for the image Richard had of me, and for a companion for myself.

Unaware of her gender at the time, I named her Robin. I figured if it was a boy people would assume I named her after Batman's sidekick but if it was a girl people would think its cute naming a cat after a small, edible bird. I noticed Robin had a sixth digit on her right hand; I saw a claw protruding in between her thumb and index, how interesting. Like a stray, Robin didn't eat cat food right away, exposed her claws whenever picked her up, and was wide awake when I was asleep at night. But she was also friendly, playful, and enjoyed my company. I gave her to the Pima County Animal Care Center today, where she will hopefully find a better home. But just to make sure, I'll stop by in the future, to say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment